Home | Contact

Max Schmidheiny (1908-1991)

 
 
Born 1908, from Balgach/SG and Pagig/GR, after matriculating from the cantonal high school in Trogen/AR, he studied at ETH Zurich. 1931 he graduated with a mechanical engineering degree, 1933 delegate to the Board of Eternit AG, Niederurnen and after the death of his father in 1935 delegate to the Board of Portland Cement Tourah-Le Caire in Egypt and of the Swiss Cement Industry Assocation, as well as of the

Holderbank Financière Glarus AG, of which he later became the President. 1935 Vice President and since 1954 President of Wild Heer- brugg AG. In addition to his responsibilities in industry, Max Schmidheiny also undertook various tasks in the public sector. For many years he was President of the school board of Heerbrugg, member of the local council of his home town of Balgach and for two terms of office he was a member of St. Gallen cantonal Parliament.

From 1946-1976, member of the Swiss Chamber of Commerce, and a long standing Board member of the Society for the Promotion of Swiss Industry. He is the founder of tire Adda-Marietta Schmidheiny Foundation in favour of the Schanfigg village Pagig and was for almost two decades President of the supervisory committee of the “Oberfeld” educational establishment in Marbach. 1952, granted an honorary doctorate from Basle University, 1967 granted a Dr. h.c. in business studies from St. Gallen Graduate School (now University of St. Gallen). 1978, at the age of 70, Max Schmidheiny founded the Max Schmidheiny Foundation.

Max Schmidheiny passed away on August 19, 1991.
 
» Declaration of the founder
 
» April 3, 2008: 100th birthday of Max Schmidheiny